Wednesday, February 15, 2012

breakfast quinoa


Lets face it, quinoa is weird. It has a weird name, it looks kinda strange and the average American can't even pronounce it, let alone begin to fathom how to cook it. This is exactly how I felt about quinoa not so long ago. But, being gluten free requires you to be adventurous so I gave it a try. And you know what? I like it! What I like about it the most is how versatile it is. You can put quinoa on a salad, have it as a side dish, main dish, even eat it for breakfast.
Breakfast. Ah, such a difficult meal for me. Up until recently I couldn't eat eggs either and that was a real challenge! Eating eggs should've opened up a whole new world for me, but after 2 months of eggs every morning, it's time to move on. I know people who have no problem waking up to a bowl of gluten free chex with vanilla soy milk but I am NOT one of them. The very thought makes me gag a little. Breakfast quinoa is a good alternative to oats and, dare I say it...I think I like it better. To top it off, Quinoa takes half the cooking time of steel cut oats. Are you sold yet?? After you try this recipe, you will be.

 Ingredients:
1 cup Dairy Free Milk of choice. I prefer Vanilla Almond Milk
1/2 rinsed and drained quinoa
1 tsp brown sugar
dash of cinnamon
1/4 cup blueberries

Directions:
In a small saucepan, bring almond milk to a boil. Add quinoa and bring back up to a boil, then turn down heat to low and cover. Cook like this for about 12 minutes, or until more than half the milk is gone. 



 Try not to let this happen^^messy stuff
 Then add cinnamon and brown sugar. Put the lid back on and cook for another 7 minutes. When it's done it will have the texture of oatmeal. You know when quinoa is cooked because it will be see through with a half moon around the edge. If you're using fresh blueberries put them in and cook for another 2-3 minutes.


 Put it in a bowl with a little extra milk and you're done! You'll never eat oatmeal again.



1 comment:

  1. yum! I want to try it...I'll have to get some next time I got to Sprouts.

    ReplyDelete