Friday, February 24, 2012

Chicken Stock

I'm having one of the those days. You know, where you wake up just a wee bit too early(5:45 am thankyouChunks) and nothing feels quite right? This feeling is usually accompanied by an extreme bout of laziness on my part. Which, is why I'm blogging :) I cleaned ALL day yesterday, and I feel like I can't even tell! That drives me crazy. I baked cookies, loaded and unloaded the dishes twice, did 5 loads of laundry(and put it all away), and cleaned the master bedroom and closet (which for those of you who know me personally, know that that means that there were clothes covering literally every surface of the room including the floor). Oh, and I washed my kitchen floor on my hands and knees. So, in my mind, I get to sit here today and blog. Only problem is, the kitchen is dirty again and I have a babysitter coming in 3 1/2 hours and for some reason I always feel that my house needs to be in pristine order before she comes. Looks like I need to get up...

I've been wanting to make chicken stock since I got here. But, I needed to save up enough bones first, which I talked about here. I don't know why, but there is something so satisfying to me about homemade stock. I love seeing it in my freezer almost as much as I love eating it. It just feels so homey. In order to make a good stock you'll need the following:

a large stock pot(mine is a 12 quart, but 16 would be best)
4-6 lbs of chicken bones including necks, backs and feet (gizzards optional)
2 medium yellow onions-leave the skin on, diced
8 medium carrots-washed very well, skin on, diced
6 celery stalks including leaves, diced
10 sprigs of thyme
pepper
2 bay leaves
3 cloves of garlic, diced
a splash of white vinegar
salt
I prefer to use all organic ingredients, including the chicken. I'm making the stock for flavor and also for the immune boosting power that it contains. For me, pesticides aren't included in that and I rather skip the work and buy a box of stock for $1.99, but that's just me.

 Put all the chicken in first, then cover with veggies and fill with cold water and add seasonings and vinegar.
Bring to a boil and let it boil for about 30 minutes. Turn down and keep at a constant simmer for the next 12-14 hours. Make sure you keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't boil.

 See the frothy bubbles? Skim that off every hour or so. That is the muck from the inside of the bones and you don't want it in your final stock.

When the water gets low, refill as needed.

After 12-14 hours, remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh colander or cloth twice. Allow to cool a bit, then place in the fridge overnight. In the morning scrape off some of the fat layer. Leave some fat because that is where a lot of the immune-enhancing properties live. Place in jars and freeze.

 This is what it should look like once it's been double strained.

So satisfying to see it all lined up in jars like that! This recipe (in a 12 qt pot) makes about 4 quarts of stock once strained. It takes a long time, but is so worth it!

3 comments:

  1. So you use cooked chicken bones for this? What do you do with the necks, etc (stuff you don't use in your daily cooking)? Do you boil it first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some are cooked, some aren't. If I've defrosted the meat, I cook it and then freeze it since you're not supposed to refreeze things raw. I try to remember when I buy a whole chicken to take the things I won't eat(but will need for the stock)off and freeze it all separately. Also, you can ask most butchers for necks, feet and backs and they'll give them to you or sell them really cheap. If I do that, then I just keep it raw until it's time to make the broth. Make sense? It's best to use raw because you'll be getting the maximum nutrients from the bones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotcha, thanks for the tip, I never thought to use the bones for the stock, your stock looks so rich. I buy the organic stock but it still just doesn't have the richness of homemade.

    ReplyDelete