Monday, March 19, 2012

Something I've actually followed through on

I am terrible at follow through. I have goals and plans and ideas that I start and never finish. I have really great intentions. I have a pile of crafts upstairs that are half done. I have furniture in y garage that needs to be refinished. I have books that aren't read, rooms that aren't organized and classes that I've signed up for and never taken. Have you ever told someone something ( maybe it's a small thing) and then wished you could take it back? I have. A lot. It's a bad habit of mine that I am painfully aware of and try so hard not to do, but then I go and do it again... I'm not talking about saying I'll meet someone at the park, I follow through on things like that. I'm talking about things like going back to school, going to Disneyland, buying a new house...big things. Things people are going to ask me about later. I really do plan on doing them. I over think things and have a tendency to talk myself out of really great things.
It goes something like this: I get an idea. A great idea. An idea that I'm really stoked on. I think about it, talk it over with Mr. F, and research it. I mull it around for a week or so until I'm 99% sure that I'm going to follow through with said idea. I'm just shy of really committing. I still need to buy it, sign up for it etc. Then, I tell myself that I'm just going to tell one person, and I do. Then, I get so excited that it's happening that I tell my entire circle of friends. It's right about then that I decide, a.) it's a lousy idea b.) that I don't want to spend the money on it after all c.) I'm too busy and/or lazy to do it. Next is the part of this horrible cycle that I hate the most: I have to go back to ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE  and say "oh, forget I've said that, I changed my mind". Sheesh, so embarrassing. I look like a liar, or a flake. You'd think I'd learn, but I know I'll do it again...I need deliverance. I need to have confidence in myself and my ideas, because a lot of times, they would be really great for me.
Enough of that.
On to my real topic.

I get a lot of questions about cloth diapers. Why I do it, how I do it, all sorts of questions that seem so normal to me now, but I remember having them once too. Recently some one asked if I'd be willing to post about them, so here I go...

Chunks in a Happy Heiney X-Small
1. Do you ever use disposable diapers, like for babysitters or the church nursery?
I keep a pile of them pre-stuffed and show them how they work. I don't make them wash them off, or do the "dirty work". The Grandparents don't like them, but they buy their own. Which is fine, since I'm not paying :) I try to always have some around the house just in case I get behind on laundry.

2.)How often do you have to change a cloth diaper?
You have to change cloth about every 2 hours, where as with paper you can go 3-4 as long as its just pee. The beauty of cloth is that you can decide how absorbent you want them to be, just add more stuffing.

3.) What kind do you like best?
Fuzzi Bunz by far. I use the one size which is adjustable, so I only need one set of diapers from 8-30 lbs. which is a real money saver. They are about $20 new and $10-$12 for "seconds". I have also tried bum genius, fuzzi bunz fitted, Happy Heineys, Little Comet Tails and Green Acre Designs.

4.) What is a "second"?
Seconds are diapers with slight flaws. Almost all of my diapers are seconds and it has never effected how they work. They may have a crooked seam, a misplaced snap, a pen mark...who cares? It's about a 40% savings, do it.

5.) How many will I need?
If you get sized diapers (as in sm, med, lrg), you'll need more. About 18-20 per size. That's why I like the one-size option, those same 18-20 will take me all the way to potty training. Also, it really depends on how often you're willing to do laundry. It gets kind of addictive to buy them and find good sales.

6.) Where do you buy your diapers/supplies to save money? 
Kellys closet, FB Seconds, Amazon, Ebay (but be careful), Baby Frenzy (San Diego), Hyena Cart, Clearance and you can always google "local cloth diaper stores" to see what's in your area.There are also websites that sell diapers that are used but still in great condition, if that doesn't skeeve you out too much. This site gathers all of the deals fro other cloth diaper sites and posts updates for you to find all in one place.

7.) How do you clean them? Do you think it's still a good idea if I have to go to the laundromat ($3/load because we don't have washing machines in our apartment)?
I did cloth when I didn't have a washer. I used to go to my moms, for the whole first year. Its a pain. A big pain, and I admit that they sat a lot longer than I would've let them if I had my own and I had to strip them much more often. Then we moved and I had to use the pay machines in a community laundry room which was also really hard but still cost less than just using paper diapers. I didn't mind with 1 kid, but with 2, it was quite a bit of laundry. I now have a washer and dryer upstairs in my home and only 1 child in diapers and while it is much easier, if I had to go back, I still would've done cloth diapers all over again.

8.) In between doing a load of laundry where do you put the dirty ones?
You'll want to get a diaper sprayer. They're available on some of the websites I listed, but they also have one at home depot called Mrs. Bidet, and it goes for about $40. You attach it to your toilets water supply which is super easy. Just spray the poop into the toilet, shake out the stuffing and keep them in a dry pail. I use an orange Home depot bucket ( about $3). For pee, just shake out stuffing and drop in pail.

9.) Do you think they're as good for Chunks as for SweetPea (ie., for a boy as for a girl)?  Is there anything you do differently for each gender?
I feel that they are equally great. Fro what I have both heard and experienced, girls tend to be heavier wetters for whatever reason, so Chunks its easier in that respect

10.) What is the best thing to use as stuffing?
All ClothDiapers come with stuffing. Usually it is a microfiber insert of some sort. SweetPea always leaked through these, even when double stuffed, but it really depends on your kid because some people don't have a problem. You have to see what works best for you. I do one of the inserts that it came with and one Chinese or Indian prefold. They are the old fashioned diapers that people use for burp diapers now. They're organic and untreated, so very absorbent and they become more absorbent as you wash them. It takes about 7-10 times of washing before they absorb the best. I have a friend who bought a package of bright yellow "shammies" from Costco and uses those and swears by them.

11.) If you are changing a diaper in the car or someplace without a toilet what do you do? Or do you always find a bathroom?
I have a wet bag. I have the medium size and keep it in my diaper bag at all times. They don't leak, and I have two so that I can still have one if one is in the wash. I try to find a bathroom for poop, but if not I just stick it in the bag and deal with it at home. Same thing you would do if you couldn't find a trash for a paper diaper. I put a few drops of tea tree oil in the bottom of the bag which keeps it smelling clean and then you just wash it with the regular load of diapers.

12.) Will I need any extras, other than diapers?
 Some people use cloth wipes, but I don't. The only accessories that I use are a wet bag, a bucket, and a sprayer.

13.) How do I wash them?
 You have to follow the washing instructions specific to the brand or else you'll get build up and they will leak. With  Fuzzi Bunz you wash on hot, rinse cold and dry low. The best way to dry them is on a line in the yard in the sun, but that isn't always possible. But, it is the best way to remove stains.

14.) What kind of detergent do you use? I have a few different brands of diapers and the only detergent that they can all agree on is ORIGINAL Tide. DO NOT USE: Free and Clear, scented, or any other additives in the Tide, or dryer sheets. You also can't use diaper creams or powders. A lot of brands recommend expensive detergents that aren't necessary. I've been washing them in Tide for 2 1/2 years and 2 kids and they are still in amazing shape. Most of the complaints I've heard about diapers leaking is because of soap residue. You only need to use about 1/4 of the amount of soap that Tide recommends, they will be clean using that much. Make sure you're stripping the diapers a few times a year.

15.) What does it mean to "strip" diapers?
 Every few months I strip the diapers. After awhile build up occurs and it's just part of the maintenance. I do it 3-4 times a year, but if you don't wash them often or notice they are leaking or trapping odor, you may be using too much detergent and you'll need to strip them more often. Wash the diapers with soap as usual. Then wash ONLY the shells without soap and a capful of plain blue Dawn. You may need to do a few extra rinses to get the Dawn out. Dry in the sun if possible. Next, pour a capful of bleach and a squirt of plain, blue Dawn and wash ONLY the inserts. Dry normally. It makes such a big difference!

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask! I love using cloth diapers and am so thankful that I started. SweetPea ended up having extremely sensitive skin and would get a rash with even the most "green" disposable diapers on the market and cloth helped so much. Plus, they are SO stinking cute!

SweetPea in a Happy Heiney onesize

SweetPea in a FuzziBunz One size


Chunks in a FuzziBunz Onesize

1 comment: