Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Pincushions are for suckers

Last night I made Shepard's Pie for dinner-which I DO NOT LIKE. The only reason I made it is because I was trying to cook dinner using only 1/2 lb of ground beef. No, we're not destitute, we're just trying to eat less meat. I'll talk about why in a later post. So, I looked up a few recipes and ended up going with Gordan Ramsays' recipe. It was so, so, so delicious, and I highly recommend it. I guess technically it was Cottage Pie, but oh well. I added lentils cooked in beef broth to the meat to give it more substance and it was definitely a good decision. I added fresh green beans and frozen corn and peas at the same time as the carrots and omitted one egg yolk. I also added cheddar cheese since I didn't have Parmesan, but next time I'm going to get rid of the cheese altogether. Make it. You'll be so happy you did.

Time just didn't seem to move at the proper speed yesterday; I kept looking at the clock and only 15 minutes had passed since the last time I'd looked. But, it felt like that during nap time too and that was great. I got quite a bit done during naps (as opposed to staring blankly at the wall for an hour). I finally, finally, FINALLY finished organizing my craft room into a workable space. We moved into this house three days before Christmas, so this has been a work in progress for awhile. Part of organizing the space was making a few pincushions. Why? Well, I have a really bad habit of not paying attention while I sew and I'd rather not have one of my babies become human pincushions. Here is a picture of the "cushion" I've been using the past few years. I'm so embarrassed to actually be showing this...


Pretty bad. I was sewing one day and was frustrated that I kept spilling the box of pins. I found a fat quarter, some quilt batting and tied it in a knot. Not my best, I know. The thing is, to me, making a pincushion is one of the most ridiculous sewing projects ever. They are tiny, but so detailed that they take forever. When I was in Jr. High I saved up forever for a Billabong wallet. It was probably only $20 or so, but I didn't have a job and was 12, so that was a lot of money. Anyways, I saved and saved and when I finally bought the wallet, I didn't have any money to put inside of it! That is how I feel about making pincushions.

But, I needed one. So, I took a major shortcut. I think it turned out pretty cute though.



My craft room has gotten completely out of control. A great way to get things done: I let my kids do whatever they want with my craft supplies(kid safe of course). I shut all 3 of us in there and let them have at it and go plum crazy! which is why it got so bad to begin with. Here's a few pictures...






ouch.



But, here are some of the "after" shots:
The wonderful, amazing, handsome and oh so buff Mr. F (he told me to sing his praises) built this box for me to store all of my ribbon. Believe it or not, I have more in boxes too. We underestimated my ribbon stash. There has to be a better way to store my fabric, but that's all I've had time for so far.

Mr. F also put up the shelves


Doesn't it look better?

Another pincushion that took me about 3 minutes with my glue gun

A few closet shots:



 It's nowhere near what I originally envisioned, but I only spent $10 on this project and doing it all my way would have been hundreds. I can definitely get more done now and it feels so good to be done. I've been envisioning my own space for years and I am so blessed to have it. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain on the pins/pin cushion dilemma. Adrian found Isabel with a straight pin in her mouth a while back, and was super mad. I got a magnetic thing for my pins, but I really want to make one that's a pin cushion/bag that hangs off the desk for thread cuttings. Does that make sense? I just haven't got around to doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. right? It's the last thing I want to make when I actually have a minute to sit down and sew. That makes sense, I've seen something like that before. I have a magnetic wand too and I'm constantly going over the are under my table, but they always seem to slip through!

    ReplyDelete